The arrival of Ingrid

>> Tuesday, February 28, 2006

First of all I have to say, congratulations to Stephanie of Yarn Harlot! I was really getting worried about her because it sounded impossible for her to finish her Olympic knitting and I knew she would feel awful about it if she didn't. That sweater is so beyond anything I'd attempt myself! I mean, plackets? steeks?? And here I was thinking I'd gone the extra mile with the woodworking. It goes to show, she really did choose a real challenge and deserves the medal.

In other news, as you can see from the picture at the top of this post, I had a very cheering package arrive this morning. I've been feeling a bit under the weather for the past couple of days so it was perfect timing for the arrival of the delightful Ingrid! Here she is sitting on my couch (which is currently covered with a recent thrift acquisition - a cheerful yellow (I can't remember what you call this tufty fabric) blanket).And as you may notice, she even came with a little bundle of fabric tied with a little brown velvet ribbon. Did I mention even the tissue paper she was wrapped in was beautiful?And they're such pretty fabrics, the picture doesn't do them justice. At first I was thinking, "oh these are just too pretty to use" then I remembered how in fairytales babies are sometimes left in baskets on doorsteps with a few extras tucked in. I chatted about this with Bradley this morning, and he agreed that the baby always came with a blanket, and sometimes a broken locket so it could be matched up with the other half later in life (consider Oliver Twist, and Little Orphan Annie). So obviously this fabric belongs to Ingrid, and it's up to me to look after it for her. I'm still deciding, but my initial thoughts are as follows:

1. pink floral: little tote for her to carry her things around in/extra apron
2. stripy flannel-like fabric (sorry I don't really know my fabric names): pajama pants
3. brown polka dot cotton: dressier handbag for fancy occasions and/or skirt
4. blue wool felt: shoes?

Thank you so much for the lovely package, Stephanie! I'm delighted with Ingrid and you can be sure she has a happy home here with us.

9 comments:

Samantha February 28, 2006  

She is just adorable. And I love the little fabric bundle.

Lucky you!

Anonymous,  February 28, 2006  

Hi! i just discovered your blog, inspiring stuff, i was smitten by your gnome needlebook, how cool is that? : ) the fuzzy blanket stuff is called chenile i think, my parents still have a vintage bright yellow + pink bedspread like that (they are still using it). ingrid is adorable, love your fabric bundle too!

Anonymous,  February 28, 2006  

Ingrid looks like she is enjoying her new home :)

Kat February 28, 2006  

OK, yes, chenille. I have a hard time passing up pieces that I see at thrift stores, most of which are too gigantic to store or cut up into things quickly enough.

Love your stuff. Keep up the good work.

Come visit me sometime, we like the same stuff.

Smiles, Aurora

stephanie February 28, 2006  

claire, what a great home for ingrid. makes me smile. fantastic ideas for your little fabric bundle! i am so very happy that you are pleased.
xo.

Anonymous,  March 01, 2006  

Ingrid is the cutest thing I've ever seen, Claire. I was having an ukcy morning until I decided to check your blog and saw her. I totally love that you are going to look after her fabric for her. I'm sure she will love her new accessories :) Thanks for inadvertently cheering me up.

Claire Louise Milne March 01, 2006  

oh, that's good to hear! thank you everyone.

City Wiccan March 01, 2006  

Ingrid is very adorable! She reminds me of these drawings that my mother collects of cats that are dressed like people. I believe the artist is Louis Wain . . . an interesting character.

Toni March 02, 2006  

The little tote for her is a great idea, I'm actually crocheting one for one my stuffies right now!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP