Pink hat

>> Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I received some beautiful pink wool in my Red/Pink Color-iffic swap-o-rama package. It's a merino/microfibre/cashmere blend called Debbie Bliss cashmerino superchunky. I decided it was the perfect wool to make a new hat. Some may remember the orange hat I posted here previously. If not, here it is: I bought the orange hat and embroidered it with a bird on a branch. I really like the shape, so I thought I'd try to work out a pattern for it. What I came up with worked out quite well (after lots and lots of frogging), although I had to resign myself to buying a 2nd ball of yarn in order to not be left with what basically amounted to a beanie. After a trip to Romni I have to say thank you again to my swap partner because it was expensive ($20/ball)! It's worth it because it really is gorgeous, it's soft, heavy, lovely to knit with and even nicer to wear. Plus I have another 1/2 skein left and I'll make something else with that.

And finally, I was inspired by the beautiful felted wool decorations on Ingrid's scarf, and I made a similar decoration for the pink hat. I stole some teeny bits of Bradley's current scarf wool in navy blue, tan, dark green and orange, and made little felted balls and a leaf. I love the way they look against the pink. Here's a picture: One person on Flickr asked me if I had a pattern for the orange hat, and so I'll share how I made it for her and anyone else who might be interested. First I have to say I'm not an expert knitting pattern designer, so as you can see in the picture the stitch decreases show. If anyone would like to suggest improvements, or point out mistakes, your feedback is welcome.

Pink hat pattern
Ingredients: roughly one and a half 100 gram skeins of Debblie Bliss cashmerino superchunky, or wool yarn of similar thickness. Gauge: 10 stitches of K1 P1 rib is roughly 3 inches wide. I think I have a somewhat large head, it's roughly 23 inches in circumference.

• CO 72 stitches using 4 mm (size 6) circular needles, add a marker at the beginning
• K1 P1 rib for 3 rows
• switch to 6mm (size 10) needles. K2, K2tog, add a marker halfway around circle, at marker K2, K2tog, then knit to end (70 stitches remain)
• purl row
• Double decrease row: K2 K2tog, knit until marker, K2 K2tog, knit to end (68 stitches remain)
• purl row
• Double decrease row (66 stitches remain)
• knit row/purl row six times
• Double decrease row (64 stitches remain)
• purl row
• Double decrease row (62 stitches remain)
• purl row
• Double decrease row (60 stitches remain)
• purl row
• Double decrease row (56 stitches remain)
• purl row
• Double decrease row (54 stitches remain)
• purl row
• Double decrease row (52 stitches remain)
• purl row
• Double decrease row (50 stitches remain)
• purl row
• Double decrease row (48 stitches remain)
• purl row. add 2 more markers between the first two so that the circle is divided evenly into four sections
• Quadruple decrease row: K2, K2tog, knit to next marker, K2, K2tog, knit to next marker, K2, K2tog, knit to next marker, K2, K2tog, knit to end (44 stitches remain)
• purl row
• Quadruple decrease row (40 stitches remain). switch to 5mm (size 8) double pointed needles
• Octuple decrease row: K2, K2tog twice, knit to next marker, K2, K2tog twice, knit to next marker, K2, K2tog twice, knit to next marker, K2, K2tog twice, knit to end (32 stitches remain)
• purl row
• Octuple decrease row (24 stitches remain)
• purl row
• Octuple decrease row (16 stitches remain)
• K2 tog eight times (8 stitches remain)
• purl row
• cut yarn, pull thread through remaining 8 stitches and tie/stitch it down
• weave in ends

Add decoration as you wish, embroidery, appliqué or leave it plain. You can switch colours to make it in two colours, or stripes, or blend yarns. I made felt balls by winding separated "ply"s of wool into a tiny ball, then rolling in my hands using soap and hot water intermittently.

9 comments:

astridpersons March 01, 2006  

great hat with that embroided bird (looks very retro)
love your work and added you on my link-list.
greetings from holland
http://astridpersons.typepad.com

marcisenders March 01, 2006  

The bird embroidery is truely amazing!

Anonymous,  March 02, 2006  

Wow, these hats are absolutely beautiful, great work done indeed! Thank you for sharing the pattern, I'll print it out and try my hands on it soon!
Have fun knitting, and best wishes from Austria!

Anonymous,  March 02, 2006  

Lovely hat !- thank you for sharing the pattern : )

Anonymous,  March 02, 2006  

Very nice hat! And I love the embellishments on both hats--they really "make" the hats!

Toni March 02, 2006  

your hat is so darling!

Ms. Ly March 02, 2006  

lucky! cashmerino is sooo nice. i love debbie bliss! i have yet to bring myself to buy her yarn... i will do so when i become an expert knitter of sweaters. her patterns are beautiful but i can't bring myself to buy 10 skeins of 20 dollar yarn for one sweater....

a n n e March 03, 2006  

Hi Claire - I love the hat and thank you for sharing the pattern. I'm glad you like the yarn. I still have some yarn left and may tackle that hat on myself!

marcisenders March 08, 2006  

Your embroidered bird really inspired me to take a embroidery workshop. So thanks and I posted the sampler and your link on my blog.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP