Bags, bags more bags

>> Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Thank you so much to everyone for all the nice comments on my Whiplash project. Deciding to do it was great because I was having a drab day and I got really inspired when I put together all my materials to make the bag. I know it's been done a lot before, but I am just so not tired of the pale blue and dark chocolate brown colour scheme. Plus the floral curtain fabric was a recent find that I really loved.

When I initially read about the Whiplash competitions I didn't notice that it was only for six weeks - otherwise I would have joined in sooner. And how great are those prizes?? My favourites are the Holiday Knits book (Chronical press has such beautiful books) and the One skein book.

The other idea I had for the yarn theme was to try granny squares for the first time. I'm quite good at crochet now, but I haven't actually tried the multi-coloured granny squares that are so common, and I thought it would be a great way to use leftover bits of yarn. I even gathered up a big bag of blues and greens to work with. I think I'll still do that next. I saw a girl at the market a few weeks ago with a yarn granny square bag, and it was made with dark brown and mossy greens and it looked so cool and pretty. When it comes to the lining, I think I'll use the green floral in the background of these pictures. These lovely fabrics were another birthday present from Bradley that showed up a couple of weeks after my birthday. Speaking of bags, I found the straw bag at the top of this post today while having a quick thrift shop. I wondered if it was too kitschy but still thought it was pretty and couldn't resist it.

But what I'm most excited about right now is the Amy Butler Weekender Bag. I saw a few versions of it on the sewiknit site. I love this one. And how gorgeous is this one? I've read a few descriptions and it sounds pretty challenging. Does anyone have the Amy Butler pattern that would like to swap with me? I could make a custom needlebook/pincushion etc. in exchange for the pattern. I thought maybe someone might have already made the bag and like to swap the pattern now that they're done with it.

Alternatively you could keep the pattern to yourself and support my attempts to do something in life other than make bags...just kidding!

7 comments:

Samantha May 18, 2006  

I love your thrifted bag - definitely NOT too kitschy.

.. May 18, 2006  

That bag is adorable and I love those fabrics!

About the Amy Butler bag patterns, sorry, not a chance - plus am the sort of person who improvises her patterns even if she has them ;) But I do have a japanese book ISBN4579107926 which among other great bags, has several variations on this type of shape. I can scan it or photocopy it if you want to check out if it might be what you want.

Heather May 18, 2006  

Adorable bag!!! Adorable Bradley!! Where the heck are you thrifting????

Tania Ho May 18, 2006  

why did you have to post about this gorgeous bag ? now I want to make one too ;-)

Anonymous,  May 18, 2006  

That weekender bag is amazing! If you find somewhere to buy the pattern I'll split it with you!

Anonymous,  May 18, 2006  

Amy BUTLER! That's the name we were trying to think of on Monday!

Phew. That has been bugging me ever since. And sadly, you know I don't have the pattern to give you, or I would!

Anonymous,  May 18, 2006  

I LOVE your new thrifted bay! Good luck on the weekender one, it looks super cool!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP