Whiplash topic: colour - Part 2
Blue-brown-green knit bag

>> Monday, May 22, 2006

Ahh! Now this one I am very happy with. The front and back are the knitted pieces I showed in my last post - I even matched the stripes so they are almost identical. The sides, top and bottom are made up of dark brown cordoruy, with a zipper sewn in (that was the hardest part). The sides/top/bottom are lined, but the front and back aren't so you can see the back of the knitting when you look inside the bag. I didn't want to cover it up because I like how the back looks too.

This bag is definitely all about the colour too, I love how the greens and blues pop next to the dark brown. I showed closeups of the knitting in my last post. The other nice thing is that it's definitely a "use what you have" project. I used up lots of bits of yarn, a zipper I had lying around and the cordoruy is from a skirt I bought that I never really liked.

Here's another view of the side.
The handles are made from velveteen (?) ribbon sewn together so both sides are fuzzy. I just happened to have some in this turquoise colour which I think looks really great with all the other colours. Here's a detail:
And finally, I had quite a bit of yarn leftover so I made a matching cell phone cosy. This is my best one yet, it's lined with the corduroy which has a little stretch in it, so it's very snug and I have already knocked it onto the floor and it was fine!
While I work on crafts projects I like to have a movie going in the background. Or vice versa - when I'm watching movies I like to have a knitting project on the go. It think it prevents me from feeling guilty about watching t.v. And often I develop an association with the item I'm making and the movie I was watching. In this case it started with the original Planet of the Apes, which I'd never actually seen before, and finished with the new Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Now all I have to do is pack a towel in there and get going.

15 comments:

Samantha May 22, 2006  

What a sweet little bag. The colour of the handles is just perfect!

julie May 22, 2006  

oh it turned out lovely!!!! Like the shape.

Unknown May 22, 2006  

beautiful bag!! love the color!

Funky Finds May 22, 2006  

I think it's fabulous! Great work.

Tania Ho May 22, 2006  

love how the bag turned out !

Gaby May 22, 2006  

your bag is beautiful!!! great idea to use the rest of the yarns :)

regards from Bs.As.

Julie May 22, 2006  

This came out so beautifully.

Heather May 22, 2006  

Wonderful! I really like the ribbon handles, the knitted sides and the corduroy bits...alright I really like the entire thing! Great little cell phone cozy too!

Anonymous,  May 22, 2006  

What a fabulous bag!

molly | mommycoddle.com May 22, 2006  

claire, it's fantastic! i love the color combination!

gkgirl May 23, 2006  

this is gorgeous...
all the textures
and color...

beautiful.

:)

Anonymous,  May 23, 2006  

Isn't that a lovely bag! Beautiful colors and the combination of yarn and velvet is excellent.

Regina May 23, 2006  

gorgeous bag! Love the colors!

Anonymous,  June 04, 2006  

Claire, I'm so behind, but I just had to pipe in and say I am in love with this bag. The colors, the shape, I love it all. Fantastic job!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP