Corners of my home & weird tag

>> Monday, January 22, 2007

I was tagged a while ago by Jamie and am just getting around to it now. I thought a lot about it (because I tend to analyse everything/think about things too much), and I just wasn't sure what to put on my list. Because some things might seem weird to one person but not at all to another. So I wouldn't want to unwittingly imply that someone else is weird for liking the same kind of thing. And other weird things are just plain embarrassing. See? Thinking too much. I decided it was really just a "get to know you" kind of thing and so that's really what my list is. Things you might not know about me.

So here are the 5 weird things about me I could come up with:
1. I doodle a lot, whenever I'm waiting around or bored. In this case on an envelope while waiting in the bank. The weird part is that what I doodle is almost exclusively girl's faces. I love doing the hair. Time flies by, and I actually waited over an hour in the bank (after they told me it would be 20 minutes) without really noticing. I've been doing this as long as I can remember.
2. All my favourite authors are from the 19th century: Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Charlotte Bronte, Henry James, Thomas Hardy, Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy. I also still read lots of old children's books.
3. Most of my favourite books are about orphans. Oliver Twist, Great Expectations, David Copperfield, Jane Eyre, Anne of Green Gables.
4. And just when you were thinking I was really high brow... I'm hooked on daytime decorating shows. House & Home, Changing Rooms, Colour Confidential, How not to Decorate, Divine Design, etc.
5. I used to think I was weird because I love crafts so much. I didn't know anyone that would spend hours in yarn stores, or get really excited by vintage fabric and button finds at flea markets. Now that I've been crafts blogging I realize I'm not alone. So thank you for visiting!

Another "get to know you" kind of thing is the Corners of My Home group on Flickr. I love sneaky peeks into the homes of my fellow crafters - largely because you're a talented, creative bunch and I'm inspired by the beautiful craft rooms, storage and colour ideas I see. I think we've all coveted Blair's beautiful celadon crafts room, and I've recently discovered Yvestown's gorgeous decor.

As I'm mentioned before our home is quite small, so a lot of areas multi-task. We recently found a great IKEA dining table that is perfect for the small home. Each side folds down which means the table can take up a mere 30cm of depth when tucked against the wall. When opened up it has generous seating room for four. The middle part of the table has three drawers on each side which now hold all our wine and other dining related things (napkins, placemats, corkscrews). But the best part is I keep one side up and use it as a nice large crafts table.

So that's my "corners of my home" pic. Yesterday evening Bradley helped me put up some little framed fabrics on the wall (pictured at the top of this post). It made me very happy having this finishing touch to my new little creative corner. It's also very practical as I've been getting busier with my shop. On the table you can see some packages getting ready to send out and a new project I'll show later in the form of the white painted box. The person who bought the 100th etsy item sold from my shop is getting a special extra treat - a set of bird cards to go with her new pouch!

6 comments:

Anonymous,  January 22, 2007  

thanks for sharing the photos in the corners group - i hadn't seen the second link yet.

i wish i was near an ikea. i'm near a JYSK though so I make do with that.

Anonymous,  January 22, 2007  

Thanks for sharing corners of your home. I too use the Dining table (you call pull the sides out and it will be enough to SQUEEZE in 6 people) to cut up fabrics and beading. I have a very small apartment too.

Anonymous,  January 22, 2007  

Um, you're - in the words of my daughter - a really good drawler. Wow! I wish I could draw hair like that!

Heather January 23, 2007  

100 etsy items! Congratulations!! I love your new craft corner and that wonderful table! The framed fabric is a good idea and the fabrics you chose are so nice.

Jannie aka Chickengirl January 23, 2007  

The framed fabric looks great! I need something above my couch so I may just do that.

Anonymous,  January 26, 2007  

I love the photo of your space. Very inspiring.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP