I love a lattice

>> Thursday, January 24, 2008

I was inspired recently by some lovely (men's) wool scarves I saw at Banana Republic made from thick yarn and so big you feel like you're wearing a blanket. I wanted a very very cosy warm scarf for the coldest days this winter. Bradley put a skein of this gorgeous yarn (Sultra, 60% Merino wool, 20% Alpaca, 20% Silk) in my Christmas stocking, so I went to Romni and bought a few more skeins to make the scarf.

I started with a cable knit (pictured on the right), but I don't really like how it turned out. So I rummaged through my knitting books and found another stitch. I love a lattice (as in mullioned windows, patterns for paper and fabric etc), and I think this stitch is perfect. The scarf curls a bit at the sides but I'm hoping I can block it flat.

I recommend occasionally learning a new knitting stitch as it can keep you from being bored with knitting and you never know when you might use it. So here's the stitch:

Cross-Stitch Diamond/Lattice pattern
Multiple of 6 sts plus 2
All even-numbered Rows: purl all sts

Row 1: K3, *Cross R, K4* (repeat between the stars until the last 3 stitches), K3
Row 3: *K2, Cross R, Cross L* (repeat between the stars until the last 2 stitches), K2
Row 5: K1, *Cross R, K2, Cross L* (repeat between the stars until the last stitch), K1
Row 7: *Cross R, K4* (repeat between the stars until the last 2 stitches), Cross R
Row 9: K1, *Cross L, K2, Cross R* (repeat between the stars until the last stitch), K1
Row 11: *K2, Cross L, Cross R* (repeat between the stars until the last 2 stitches), K2

Cross R: Put the right needle through the 2nd stitch on the left, K the stitch but don't slip it off, K the 1st stitch on the left needle and slip both stitches off
Cross L: Put the right needle through the 2nd stitch on the left from around the back, K the stitch but don't slip it off, K the 1st stitch on the left needle


And while you're at it, I recommend trying cables too if you haven't yet. It really is much easier than it looks. Really.

16 comments:

Anonymous,  January 24, 2008  

Ooo, I like the lattice stitch! I'll have to try it on something.

Anonymous,  January 24, 2008  

beautiful! I love how simple, yet effective it is. shall have to try it with my next project!

sew nancy January 24, 2008  

very pretty. i'll have to give it a go sometime soon.

Anonymous,  January 24, 2008  

Those are gorgeous. You do make it sound simple, but I bet you're a great knitter.

meg January 24, 2008  

I don't know what you're talking about, the cable one is beautiful!

oliver rain January 24, 2008  

Both scarves are beautiful. Where do you buy your yarn? I'm travelling to Toronto soon and have only a set amount of shopping time, so I'm trying to plan carefully. Which store(s) do you recommend?

Green Kitchen January 24, 2008  

Are you over at Ravelry yet? It's fun, you should sign up.

Claire Louise Milne January 24, 2008  

I recommend Romni Wool on Queen W, they have so much. I also love Knitomatic on Bathurst St, it's smaller but has all the best stock. Also Knit Cafe on Queen farther west which has lots of bright coloured yarns and a coffee bar.
If you google them you can find their websites and addresses.
Thanks for the comments!

Unknown January 25, 2008  

Beautiful stitches. I love cables.

Anonymous,  January 26, 2008  

Nice scarves. Have enjoyed your blog. Your home is really shaping up beautifully!

Junie Moon January 28, 2008  

The lattice stitch is really pretty and I'll have to try this. Thank you for sharing the instructions.

I love making cables and having not advanced past scarf knitting abilities, the cable has become my best friend.

ofpinsandneedles February 01, 2008  

Oh thank you for that! I want to cast on Right Now. BUT I am in the middle of clearing out my work basket, so I will bookmark it and dream.

Cables are great, aren't they?! I was scared too and now I love them and having been telling a boy in my class who's recently started knitting that he must. try. cables. pronto. I think he's a little disconcerted :) That one is particularly lovely; what is it?

gkgirl February 04, 2008  

i love the look of cables
but i am seriously
terrified
of trying them...
:)
but your's look beautiful...

Hurrayic February 04, 2008  

Ooo, thanks for the stitch pattern. I think it's much more elegant than the cable which looks a little more chunky.

Lara February 05, 2008  

I love both of them! I so wish I wasn't allergic to wool. Even the expensive, soft kind!

Anonymous,  February 17, 2008  

Lovely, can't wait to try it.
>^..^<

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP