Wool felt embroidered watch strap

>> Tuesday, March 25, 2008

My favourite watch is a Swatch that had a red satin embroidered strap. Unfortunately after tons of wear it became pretty worn looking and then finally the buckle broke. I was inspired by this blog post to make a new strap for it.
First of all I used the old strap to make a paper template and cut out wool felt pieces from it - two for each side. Then I used a piece of twill fabric (with anti-fray) to make pieces shaped like forks with 3 strips that fit through the slots on the watch and stitched them in place. Then the wool straps sandwich the twill piece, top and bottom and get sewn together.After trying it out I realized it was a teeny bit scratchy on the wrist, so I added a ribbon lining. I used anti-fray to the ends. The last step is a snap closure.
The embroidery is done with wool, just a simple flower pattern.
Now I can wear it again!

17 comments:

Stephanie March 25, 2008  

That is just brilliant and completely adorable! I love it!

Average Jane Crafter March 25, 2008  

This is absolutely brilliant! I love the way the embroidery ties in with the design on the watch. I am a huge lover of Swatches (if only I had the money to collect all the ones I love ...) and the band on my favorite one is ruined at the moment. You've inspired me to try this band resurrection ...... :)

Nanette Merrill March 26, 2008  

What a wonderful idea. And the kitchen is so bright and lovely.

Anonymous,  March 26, 2008  

Cool idea!

Anonymous,  March 26, 2008  

This is a great idea! I don't have any watches that this would work with but I'm going to start looking for some at thrift shops!

Anonymous,  March 26, 2008  

Gore-juss!

kat March 26, 2008  

how lovely!!!!

Hurrayic March 26, 2008  

Looks great and much much fancier than mine.

Anonymous,  March 28, 2008  

You know I bet this will wear better than the "leather" straps you buy at the store. No matter how "authentic" they claim to be never last more than 2 years. Then try to find the size you need is a headache. I may give this a try.

Berlinswhimsy March 29, 2008  

What a great idea!

pedalpower April 05, 2008  

That is so smart...as in you are so smart, and that watch looks smart!

Anonymous,  April 27, 2008  

Really unique and beautiful. I'm sure it will be lovely while worn too.

Anonymous,  April 27, 2008  

Schweiz, Suisse, Svizzera, Svizra, is just 45m in a plane away, so if I need a Swatch I can go and get one :P

Anonymous,  November 30, 2008  

This is such a neat idea. I wish I were good at embroidery. I've been trying to find a suitable strap for a Swatch whose strap had crumbled away during storage but can never find the right color to match the face.

Anonymous,  July 18, 2013  

did you machine stitch the entire strap??

Anonymous,  July 18, 2013  

did u machine stitch the entire strap?

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP