Stash-eating granny square crochet blanket

>> Tuesday, August 05, 2008

I've had this project stashed away in a closet for some time, but decided over the weekend to get started on my granny square blanket. It will hopefully use up tons of wee leftover balls of yarn, and turn them into something useful and charming.
Here's a detail of my squares, I've pinned them in place to see how the finished blanket will look.

The original inspiration came for a vintage granny square blanket I saw in flea market style by Chalmers & Hanan. It had a white border which was my favourite part, as it offset the cheerful collection of colours in the squares. I looked carefully though and it's not just a mish-mash of colours.
So I chose mainly blues and greens, with some random bits of red, orange, pink and grey. I bought a little blue planter at the Sunday Market, and I'm already using it to store the yarn I'm using right now for the blanket.
But the truth is, as with so many of my crafts projects, it's sort of taken over the room, with more yarn in the drawers of the box I just painted, and more on the dining table. Including the elegant new glass and mercury glass vase I bought recently, which is now crammed with yarn. Oh well! I like having the cheerful colours around.

13 comments:

sew nancy August 05, 2008  

i agree
seeing pretty balls of yarn always makes me smile
the colors you chose balance each other nicely.

Crafty Things August 05, 2008  

Your blanket looks like it is off to a good beginning. The yarn does a great decorating job in that glass container!

Nanette Merrill August 05, 2008  

I love it - the colors are so yummy. The yarn is so beautiful.

Anonymous,  August 06, 2008  

That is so beautiful :o) can't wait to see it when it's all done. The colors you picked are beautiful, too. I've always wanted to make a granny square blanket... one day :o)

Jo (sparkly green knickers) August 06, 2008  

It looks lovely pieced together, doesn't it! I've just learnt to make granny squares - they are addictive :)

Concha August 06, 2008  

I love the predominance of white in your blanket, it makes it even lovelier!

Anonymous,  August 07, 2008  

I love the cream color borders on your squares. I've started and stopped so many granny square blankets .One day I'll finish one!
Great idea for destashing...

Johanna Masko August 08, 2008  

Ha! I, too, am finishing up a Granny Square blanket! I just started joining the squares together today!! Nice timing, Claire! And your colour combos look great.

Sew Create It - Jane August 10, 2008  

Thanks for your recent comment on my blog. I wish I could tell you more about the Bernina Minimatic 707...other than it is a lovely machine and has a beautiful stitch. It's not too big...but it is heavy. I got mine off ebay...but I know they often show up in sewing machine repairs shops. good luck :o)

ZenCrafter August 14, 2008  

There's gorgeousness in all parts of your home, not just the corners!!

Thanks for giving me more information on my Flickr photo about the sewing box I found at a garage sale. I always need a keyword to Google for more info, and you gave me several. Quite a gift--thanks!

Anonymous,  August 15, 2008  

I must learn to crochet just so i can do this also- so much stash to use!! yours is lovely-
and that picnic basket!! what a score!
:)

Anonymous,  August 15, 2008  

I must learn to crochet just so i can do this also- so much stash to use!! yours is lovely-
and that picnic basket!! what a score!
:)

elisabetha August 18, 2008  

such lovely colours! they remind me of all the different shades of apples. what a great idea for using up stash.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP