Knitting needle case

>> Monday, February 08, 2010

 
I've been meaning to make this for ages! It's a new case for my Boye interchangeable circular knitting needle set. The case the set came with was a bit yucky - plastic slots and an ugly brown vinyl cover.
Lately I finally figured out how to sew a wallet, and realized afterwards that the needle case would basically work the same way. You sew the dividers onto the lining first, then afterwards sew the lining to the outside (leaving a gap) and turn right side out and press. Adding extra layers and dividers is just another step but the basic idea applies.
Lately I've been enjoying combining different prints, so for this case I used a combination of polka dots, faux bois and a floral all in green. I'm also loving lace right now, so I embellished the outside with some white crocheted lace.

This set has needle sizes 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10.5, 11, 13 and 15, so I have a slot for each of them, plus a large slip pocket for the cables, and three small pockets for the extra bits that come with the set. To figure out the right width for the slot for a pair of needles just measure the diameter of each needle and multiply by 4. For mine I added an extra 2mm to this measurement so the pockets aren't too snug.
While I was making my case I cut out fabric for a second one so that one is going into my shop (www.etsy.com/shop/NeedleBook) shortly... 

p.s. I've renamed my shop, so now it's called NeedleBook. I didn't realize when I created my username for Etsy a long time ago that I would open a shop later on, and that my shop name would have to be the same as my username. If you have this problem, there's a great article here that describes how to rename your shop. It's a bit of work but I think it can be really worthwhile if you're not happy with your shop name.

4 comments:

Sarah J. February 08, 2010  

Thanks for the tip! I had no idea that Etsy shop names were changable. And the needle case? Super-cute!

FARBTUPFER February 08, 2010  

Great idea!
Regards
Waltraud

gideonmommasita February 10, 2010  

Love the needlecase. I spent several hours one day browsing the internet for the right pattern for one but none of them seem to address circular needles as well as straight. Per chance would you give directions on how to make one or sell directions? A friend and I started knitting a year ago and she said I could have her groovy knitting bag she saw first at a Thrift store we were at if I made her a needle pouch. I am a nominal sewer so have been on the lookout for the perfect pattern.

Anonymous,  October 08, 2011  

I love this! I am contemplating buying this set for my daughter for Christmas, and would love to make her a pouch similar to this. Did you ever make the directions available?

Angela in Texas

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP