Buttons

>> Tuesday, June 01, 2010

I made it to Quilt Sunday at the Workroom last week but got there late. Lately I'm obsessed with sewing dresses from vintage patterns so I was happy to pick up a few more patterns while I was there. The more clothes I make the more I can see a pattern clearly. I've been practising looking beyond the styling on the front to see the shape of the garment. I'm still planning to show you some dresses I've made soon..

Quilt Sunday is great for quilters but you can bring anything you like to work on. I was making some fabric covered buttons, using some precious little scraps from my stash. When I cut up special fabric such as feedsack prints, I can't bear to throw away the leftover little pieces, so this is what I do with them.
I made some extra special buttons from an elegant vintage hankie with delicate little floral embroidery. I didn't like to cut it up but it had some spots on it that made it easier..

Lately I've also been working on some small projects for the home. I was offered the chance to do a review for CSN Stores. I had a choice from lots of wares from bathroom vanities to cookware. I was thinking it would be nice to have a fresh accessory for the kitchen so I chose a trivet made by Le Creuset. I didn't know they made them so I can't wait to try it out. I'll let you know what I think!

5 comments:

MJ June 01, 2010  

They're so pretty! How do you make these? Am trying to find a way to make them out of ordinary buttons and without the special device...
Thanx for sharing!

Claire Louise Milne June 01, 2010  

These ones are made with covered button kits. They are under $2 and come with everything you need, the metal button "dome" which you cover with fabric and then a flat disc with loop that you snap onto the back.

The only way I can think of doing this with ordinary buttons would be to sew the fabric cover on (a circle with handsewn running stitch around the edge) and then I guess you would sew the button on through the existing holes?

Anonymous,  June 02, 2010  

Hi Claire,
Will you be putting those little embroidered buttons in your shop? They are adorable! What a great way to use scraps!
Jen :)

Chloe,  June 02, 2010  

Those are so cute! Have you seen the Purl Bee's version?

http://www.purlbee.com/embroidered-covered-buttons/

I like yours though. The vintage hankie is neat.

Claire Louise Milne June 02, 2010  

Jen: You could send me a convo on etsy or email me and I could do a listing for you.
Chloe: thanks for the great link! I had been thinking of embroidering some myself next.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP